General Business Areas
Thank you for taking the time to review and apply Best Management Practices (BMP) for stormwater quality in our community. Through education and steadfast improvements, we can protect our rivers and preserve our local fish and wildlife.
- Use non-toxic substitutes for chemicals whenever possible.
- Control litter by sweeping and picking up trash regularly.
- Sweep shop floors, materials processing and storage areas, access roads, parking lots and sidewalks. Do not wash down with a hose.
- Properly contain and dispose of wash water, sweepings and sediments.
- Prevent spills from entering storm drains and discharge points.
- Keep outdoor storage containers in good condition.
- Use secondary containment measures for material and waste storage areas.
- Clean up spills immediately to minimize safety hazards and prevent spills from reaching a storm drain inlet.
- Use absorbent materials to clean small spills rather than hosing down the area. Remove the absorbent materials promptly and dispose of properly.
- Whenever possible, use chemical alternatives, or low-toxic chemicals.
- Use landscaping pesticides and fertilizers only as needed.
- Avoid over-watering to prevent excess runoff.
- Sweep up grass clippings for proper disposal.
Download pdf version of General Business Areas flyer